I developed a series of four sessions especially for the patients of the Centre for Vision Restoration within two weeks of therapeutic electrical stimulation therapy. In these four sessions I work with methods and techniques of an integrative approach to cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and combine classical elements of this therapy with modern methods of other therapeutic approaches and relaxation techniques. Only this combination of therapeutic procedures makes it possible to individually tailor the intervention to the specific needs of the patient. This has proven effective in significantly improving the quality of life of patients with limited vision.
The four sessions are clearly structured, but the content is adapted individually to the best:
- Information about the therapeutic electrical stimulation therapy in the Centre for Vision Restoration.
- Recommendations for proper behavior to achieve the best possible results in therapeutic electrical stimulation
- Structured Diagnostic Interview and standardized questionnaires for identifying and isolating of existing problem areas in the everyday life
- Discussion of the results of the psychological diagnostics and defining the patient's wishes for change
- Psychoeducation about models for the development and maintenance of unfavorable patterns of thought and behaviour
- First interventions and homework
- Evaluation of homework assignments
- Inquiring and discussing initial experiences and effects as well as the specification of the patient´s wishes for change
- Providing appropriate aids and tools to compensate for vision limitations
- Other interventions and homework
- Evaluation of homework tasks
- Inquiring and discussing the experiences and effects of the changes carried out
- Stabilization of changed thoughts and modified behaviors and measures for integration into everyday life
- Discussion of further possibilities of counseling and intervention in the home country and remote support